Friday, April 15, 2011

Update

Yesterday was chemo #4. We always meet with a care provider first. We met with a nurse practioner. We expressed concern over some hearing side effects (What?)and some steroid side effects. They decided to change one of the chemo meds. Instead of cisplatin, I was given carboplatin. They are sister drugs. Carboplatin was one of the meds originally considered. It has less harsh neurotoxins. That makes it slightly less aggressive, but hearing loss would be permanent and continuing the cisplatin is seriously risking just that.
There is not really anything that can be done about the steroid side effects until another brain MRI is done. So we also scheduled an MRI and CT scan for April 28th, the week before chemo #5.
With the drug change, treatment went faster and smoother. I did not have to have extra fluids,or the shot that cleans my kidneys (which is uncomfortable!) so I even finished a couple hours sooner than usual! I have been tolerating the chemo pretty well, but I really feel like the hearing loss was getting too drastic. By the way, my apologies if we have been on the phone or having a conversation and I misheard you!

No comments:

Post a Comment