Saturday, May 14, 2011

Person of the Year

So I have a classroom project I usually do around ISAT time. We spend a lot of time throughout the year talking about influences and who we should or shouldn't allow to influence us. So I created the "Person of the Year" Award. The students think about the influences in their lives and nominate a person that has had a great impact on them. This sometimes involves essays, posters, movies, etc. The class then presents to each other and votes on who should receive the award. Once a winner is selected, committees are formed to plan an award ceremony during which the winner finds out he or she has been selected and is adorned with praise.

Katie and Kayla continued this tradition this year in my absence. Yesterday, I was invited in as the winner. They made a beautiful video, gave me a lot of cards, read touching and funny essays to me, and performed a song written and composed by them! I will try to post pictures and video next week. I'm guessing some of the students have already posted pictures on facebook.

This was a very touching experience! I am so impressed with the abilities and compassion of this group of kids! I believe there are some world-changers in this group!

No comments:

Post a Comment